The County Treasurer position is an elected office. This individual is elected every four years and performs the duties described in 30-A, M.R.S.A., Section 171.
The Treasurer's duties include:
- Deposit and management of all funds received;
- Disbursement of payment for all accounts and claims;
- Collection of taxes from Aroostook municipalities;
- Maintains all accounting records in the manner approved by the Department of Audit and Treasurer of State;
- Provides the County Commissioners reports on all receipts and payments and an annual audited accounting report of County books;
- Prepares an annual financial report for distribution to the County's citizens.
All the above duties are with the approval and in cooperation with the County Commissioners.