The County Treasurer position is an elected office. This individual is elected every four years and performs the duties described in 30-A, M.R.S.A., Section 171.
The Treasurer's duties include:
- Deposit and management of all funds received;
- Disbursement of payment for all accounts and claims;
- Collection of taxes from Aroostook municipalities;
- Maintains all accounting records in the manner approved by the Department of Audit and Treasurer of State;
- Provides the County Commissioners reports on all receipts and payments and an annual audited accounting report of County books;
- Prepares an annual financial report for distribution to the County's citizens.
All the above duties are with the approval and in cooperation with the County Commissioners.
Accounting and Financial Practices and Procedures Mannual